Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Don't Miss Tonight's Full Moon (Then Plant Your Root Crops)

Tonight (Wednesday, June 18) around sunset, you should see a pretty spectacular full moon. It'll look enormous due to the "Moon Illusion". According to this article from Nasa it's related to the Summer Solstice happening in just a couple days. When the sun is high (as it will be during the solstice), the moon is low. Also in that article are some neat images to illustrate the concept. Enjoy the full moon before ringing in summer with the Summer Solstice.

I've heard that you should plant crops that produce above ground between the new and full moon, and then plant your root crops between the full moon and the new moon. You're also supposed to use the new and full moon days as days of rest and celebration, so no need to do your gardening today! I finally got my garden started by putting in cucumber, cantaloupe, watermelon, tomatoes, bell peppers, chili peppers, beans, and lettuce. After the full moon, I'll put in the onions and carrots.

I did the garden in stages with the help of my husband because I get exhausted so easily now. We started by adding a layer of compost (compost bins are so awesome!), then I prepped all the holes and mounds I would need. A few days later :| I put in those above-ground producers.

Happy Rose/Strawberry Moon, Summer Solstice, and Planting!

No comments: