Thursday, January 24, 2008

a sparrow on my shoulder

I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn.
-Henry David Thoreau

This is a great quote for any gardener. It reminds me of when a hummingbird zoomed right up into my face, checking me out. I thought I was SO special to have had this close encounter before finding out that hummingbirds are actually quite brave (and still zoom near me, chattering at me if I'm too close to their nectar). I am proud to say, however, that I think the birds got used to me rather quickly last summer and don't always dart when I am around. I'm hoping this will continue next summer because I plan on being outside a lot and enjoy having a yard that nourishes many types of souls. Now if only I can encourage some froggies to come back....

No comments: